Thursday, December 29, 2011

Behind The Times

 

Here I am, just days away from the new year and I’m posting my Thanksgiving crafts. I do have a perfectly valid excuse since I nearly died on Thanksgiving Day but it’s time to get back into the swing of things and get this blog off the ground. I’ve actually been crafting quite a bit while recovering from my injury, I just haven’t been posting the results! I will, I promise! Today I’m sharing a couple of sewing projects I did for my two youngest kids for Thanksgiving.

Slice O’ Pie

As I was sewing my daughter’s dress (you’ll see it next) I was feeling guilty about not making something special for my 9 year old son to wear. I knew he wouldn’t appreciate anything too fancy, stuffy or dressy so when I saw this t-shirt over at Random Thoughts of a Supermom, I thought it was perfect!  

randomthoughtsofasupermom1

I knew I could whip one of these up easily and I knew my son would think it was pretty cool! Here is mine:

1172_ThanksgivingTshirt

Excuse my awful photo, I really thought I’d be able to get a super cute picture of my son actually wearing the shirt and hadn’t originally planned to share this “for my files” snapshot. Sadly, due to my little accident, I wasn’t able to get any photos of him wearing it. As far as constructing the shirt, I did not deviate much from Kelli’s version. I didn’t have a large enough piece of felt for the pie pan except in white so I improvised and made a plate using some ready-made piping around the edge to make it stand out from the white shirt. I also added “It’s a pie thing”. Every piece of the pie and every single letter was hand-stitched on to the t-shirt. I completely forgot to put the cool whip on the slice of pie. Actually, I didn’t forget. I was going to sew it on at the last minute but ya’ll know what happened….I nearly died so that little slice of pie when unadorned but I don’t think it made the shirt any less cute. My son loved it!

Thanksgiving Day Dress

Back to my main project – making my little princess a dress to wear on Thanksgiving Day. I picked up McCall’s M6387 pattern at JoAnn’s, on sale for $1.29! I bought my fabric at JoAnn’s as well:

1172_ThanksgivingFabric

How CUTE is that fabric?? Again, forgive the awful never-meant-to-be-posted photos.

It’s been a long time since I sewed and I’ve been just warming up so I was thrilled at how well this dress turned out and how easy it was to use the pattern. Look at my pretty stitches! My perfect ruffles! I was so proud of myself, it’s like riding a bike I guess! My only roadblock was the button holes. My sewing machine has a setting (I think?) to help make a rudimentary button hole but I couldn’t remember how and I no longer have the manual. I took the dress to a local sewing machine dealer/fabric retailer.  I asked the salesladies if they knew a seamstress who could make button holes and one of the kind ladies there made them for me on the spot. Dress done!

1172_ThanksgivingDressHem  1172_ThanksgivingDressTop

The dress looked absolutely precious on my little princess. I don’t have pictures of her in the dress for the same reason I didn’t take photos of my son in his shirt but trust me, she was the belle of the ball on Thanksgiving Day!

1172_ThanksgivingDress

I can’t wait to sew her a dress for Valentine’s Day but I’ll definitely have to figure out my buttonhole dilemma before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment